[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Was: Accessing http://-files thu email Now: Telnet!!

Brent Barnhill wrote:
=>
=>oh...wait...so after I type in telnet acad.nwmissouri.edu or whatever,
=>how do I get the opportunity to type GET <filename>? Can you explain what
=>keys to press on the keyboard? I know hwo to telnet but I am unsure of
=>what you are doing. thanks

Hello,

 I believe Greg mentioned it in his email, when he gave this line:

=>> {kluge:2} telnet www.asel.udel.edu 80

That is,

    telnet HOSTNAME 80

  and the '80' at the end is important!!!!

The number '80' is the PORT address. Think of it as an extension to a
telephone number.

You should get a 'Connected to...' message if the telnet session is
successful.

It will then just appear to sit there doing nothing. This is the WebServer
waiting for the request. At this point, you can type:

GET /

This will get your top-level WebPage (/ServerRoot/index.htm or whatever).
The 'GET' must be in UPPERCASE. You should only have to press Enter ONCE.

You will then get the test of the top-level WebPage returned to you, and
then the WebServer will drop the connection.

You can extend the 'GET' request with a HyperText Protocol qualifier. For
example,

    GET / HTTP/1.0

This tells the WebServer to the incoming session is HTTP Version 1.0
compliant. You will have to press the ENTER key TWICE here!

You will then get some extra headers, informing you of the WebServer type
and some other relevant information. An example return is shown here:

   GET / HTTP/1.0

   HTTP/1.0 200 Document follows